Health Room Volunteers Needed 11/15 & 11/16
The Health Room is in need of two volunteers for vision/hearing screening on Wednesday November 15th and Thursday November 16th. Volunteers should come to the Health Room (to the left of the Front Office). They will accompany small groups of students back and forth from classrooms to the screeners who will be in the main conference room. Please sign up here.
We still need two volunteers for Wednesday November 15th. Thank you in advance for your help.
Online Book Fair Now through 11/17
Did you miss out on the book fair this week? Want to order more books? No problem! You can still find hundreds of titles on our online book fair until Friday Nov 17. Your purchase helps fund Maryvale’s programs run by the PTA.
For English and Spanish books:
- Go to: www.scholastic.com/bf/Maryvale
- All orders will ship direct to school for FREE when the Online Fair has ended.
For French books:
- Go to https://www.bonjourmama.com/collections/book-fair-2017
- When finished making selection, click on “Cart” at top of page to check out.
- Scroll down to “Add a Note to your order” and enter child’s name, grade and teacher: Example: “Jennifer Smith – Grade 1 – Mme Robert”
- Click the checkout button and follow instructions. Please note shipping address is a required field, however all books will ship to school regardless of address entered. You may Under “Shipping Method” be sure leave select “BOOK FAIR – SHIP TO SCHOOL” selected as your shipping* option (other options will be disregarded)
- In the “Discount Code” box, enter BF-MVES. Please note no discounts will be applied to your order. This code allows us to track purchases so we can give back a percentage of all book fair sales to our school.
- Continue to payment method and complete your checkout.
French books ordered in person at the book fair will be delivered to school by December 18th. In the event that your book cannot be delivered prior to December 18th your order will be cancelled and refunded.
French books ordered online will be delivered to school by January 12th. In the event that your book cannot be delivered prior to January 12th your order will be cancelled and refunded.
Maryvale Holiday Food Drive through 11/14
Please bring canned or dry food items through Tuesday, November 14.
Suggested items are:
- Macaroni and cheese boxes
- Canned soup
- Green beans
- Canned cranberry sauce
- Canned Fruit (applesauce, peaches)
- Turkey gravy (mix or can)
- Other types of canned or dry food items are accepted too!
Each grade will be filling boxes with the food they collect. The two grades with the most boxes of food collected will win a popcorn party. One grade will be chosen from Pre K-2nd grade and one will be chosen from 3rd -5th grade. See this flyer for details.
Six Flags Read to Succeed
“Six Flags Read to Succeed” reading logs have been sent home. Students in Kindergarten through Fifth grade may participate.
Students are asked to read 6 hours, record their hours on the log and have a parent sign.
The reward is a free child ticket to the Six Flags theme park Baltimore/Washington DC. Tickets are good in July and August. We will give out the certificates as soon as they arrive in EARLY June.
Extra forms are available in the library.
Forms are due back to the classroom teachers by January 5th. We hope this program will encourage our students to read over Thanksgiving and Winter breaks.
Maker Space Items Needed
The Library’s Maker Space program is still in need of gently used LEGOs, Lincoln Logs, Snap Circuits and Mr. Potato Heads.
Thank you to those who have already donated!
MCPS’s Digital Citizenship Webpage
MCPS’s Digital Citizenship: Your Characters Count webpage has been linked to our school’s webpage. It has resources for parents, students, and staff all in one location. The link looks like the one below.
Please explore the site.
Literary Explorers Program on 11/18
The Long Branch library in Silver Spring is offering a Literary Explorers program on Saturday November 18th for elementary and middle school students aged 10-14. Please see this flyer for details.
Media Center Presentation at December 5th PTA Meeting
Please join us at the December 5th PTA meeting. Mrs. Chittum, Media Specialist, will share Maryvale’s Online Resources, ebooks, and the new Common Sense Media Curriculum.